4' tall hand painted letters on corrugated metal building

Hey all - I have customer that wants a bid on lettering a corrugated metal building. He wants "SERVICE DEPARTMENT" in 4' letters.. The job is on a boat service building on the Gulf of Mexico. the lettering will be above the bay door about 20' off the ground. They have a forklift I can use and a operator too. I don't really even know where to start on this. I don't think I can use a pounce pattern on corrugated metal and besides it's REAL WINDY. I have done vinyl on corrugated buildings in the past - it's very tedious even for small stuff. Any suggestions on how to do this and what I could charge him? I know you might need more info...but any kind of ballpark price will help. Oh yeah - aside from the forklift guy, I will be working alone on this one. Thank you!

Hand painting on ribbed metal walls is major hard layout and painting with all sorts of brush stroke and perspective problems...I been there done that too many times and will not touch it any longer with my older age....

I would however decrease the lettering size to about 3'6" or 44" even and hand paint or do vinyl on 4x8 SF sheets of polymetal like Signabond Lite and screw those to the wall....You won't notice a few inches less height on a 4' letter....
    You would have to do a scale layout to determine the number of sheets needed according to the typeface used...
    Also, there is difference between "corrugated" steel siding and "ribbed" steel sidings....Ribbed sidings will have ribs on 9" or 12" centers and you will have to plan your sheet lengths so that the panel end vertical edges will lay properly to rib centers for screw fastening together....Otherwise you will need to attach some sort of furring to the wall ("steel "top hat" rails preferred) to attach you sign panels to....Turns a really hard job into an easier "do-able" job....

JimmyG's Signs & hieroglyphics
    Local colour FINE SIGNS since 1980....
    slightly out of register......a drop shade away from statesboro blues...
    a tad bit offbeat and indeed a fine tone of local colour....
    designs, graphics, blasted redwood, hand-lettered painted signs, illuminations, metalworks, and other artful deeds that get installed into reality or maybe carved in stone.....

Paint mask it and paint it out. Remember that the ridges and valleys are going to adjust the width/height of the letters, so stretch the width/height of the letters of your stencil based on that so the letters look uniform to your font. Cut your stencil, apply it to the tin, apply the paint, and get the stencil pulled off before the paint gets hard. Being a salt water air environment, I'd go with an epoxy based paint for durability.
    Ron Brown
    GetNoticed Signs & Graphics

With the speed of technology today, anybody who says "it can't be done" is usually interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

What state on the Gulf Coast, I can't see anything about you in your profile, I have a little experice at this so I might be able to help you with this task.

Jack Lowry
    Lowry Signs
    325~642-5029

I would be using aluminium comp panel and get the letters either laser or water jet cut, then all you gotta do is screw them to the wall. They will last a whole bunch longer (Selling point) you should be able to sell the job for the same price if not more (Because it will last longer) and it will take you no time to create and a less time on site so there has to be money in the job for you.

The only thing you would need to paint would be the screw heads to match the colour of your comp panel. Local paint shop should be able to mix a batch if you have a pms colour for them.

Personally, I'd cheat and fix a flat panel over the corrugated iron as Jimmy and Harry suggest.
    Keep in mind that from an acute side on angle, lettering on a corrugated surface may not look right.

That said, I am looking forward to reading Jacks 'How To', I've seen pics of his work, and that bloke is not a bad signwriter.
    Lance and Anne Sherrard
    (that's me on the left)
    Melbourne, Australia

sherrardlAToptusnet.com.au

Roland GX-24.. R230 Epsom..Mug Press..CorelDrawX3..Illy

The last corrugated surface we worked on was a Farmers Market roof,,,
    50/60 ft long,, and 40 ft width split with 20 ft center (peak),,, we painted
    the whole half (20 x 50/60) chrome yellow,, used a mop,, with 6ft letters,,,
    meant to be viewed from an overpass,, so small imperfections were no prob,,
    we just taped the straight parts with reg masking tape,,, freehanded the curves,,
    drew them (curves) off first with a marker,, but freehanded with a 4inch house
    painting brush,, well,, did the whole thing with the 4 inch brush,, curves included,,
    for the most part,, went smoothly,, had yellow paint running in the gutters but
    overall,,, an experience,, normally,, price a job,, corrugated,, add 50 % !!!
    edit
    the letters went in green,, on top of the yellow,, forgot to mention that !!
    I need to mention as well,,, the roof got a bit slick on that wet paint due to
    the pitch of the roof,,, start slidding,, it's a major effort to keep from slidding
    off,,, we used a "Dog Run" tied down the center with leads to ourselves for
    safety reasons,,, hindsight,,, most thankful for the precautions we took !!!

I think we saw pics of that roof at some stage didn't we Whit ?
    Jack also posted a few pics of his corrugated wall work, murals I think.
    Lance and Anne Sherrard
    (that's me on the left)
    Melbourne, Australia

sherrardlAToptusnet.com.au

Roland GX-24.. R230 Epsom..Mug Press..CorelDrawX3..Illy

I hear you Whit. I was a rock climber for about 25 years and accumulated an amazing amount of safety equipment for that. My harnesses, ropes and stop devices are now used to keep me from hitting the ground when working on tall roofs or billboards.
    Ron Brown
    GetNoticed Signs & Graphics

With the speed of technology today, anybody who says "it can't be done" is usually interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.