Removable vehicle signage

Hi,

A client of mine is looking for removable vehicle signage but does not want vehicle magnets (they say it scratches the vehicles).

What other options are there?

I have heard of static cling vinyl but not 100% sure how it works and if it's a good option.

All input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Are they specifying reusable, or just removable? Pretty much any vehicle signage, even most paint, is removable. If they're wanting both reusable and removable, magnetic is about the only way to acomplish it. Static cling might work, if they don't drive much, and never get over 30 MPH. Magnetics won't scratch the vehicle if they're properly cared for... but almost nobody cares for them properly and the results can be a lot worse than scratched paint if they are ignored. So the customer has a valid concern if they aren't willing to go the extra steps to care for them.

I hate selling magnetics, and make customers sign a waiver which both explains how to care for them as well as shows pictures of how badly they can mess up a paint job if the care instructions are not followed. I really hard sell permanent signage on a vehicle for anybody other than a soccer mom who's only selling real estate a couple of days a week to pass the time. If it's a construction contractor who only wants to be able to take his signage off for one week a year when he goes on vacation... I sell him permanent signage and a magnet flood coated in a matching color to his vehicle so he can cover the signage up for that one week.
    Ron Brown
    GetNoticed Signs & Graphics

With the speed of technology today, anybody who says "it can't be done" is usually interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Try to use removable oracal vinyl. It need to be laminated to be a little ticker. It works similar like magnet....I do a lot like this type of decals specially for windows when customers need to change message often. It is not durable like magnet but do great job. When they are very dirty on the back one of my customer is washing them (glue side) with soap and water in bathtub.

I got a guy who builds old Corvettes, and these high dollar Cobra replicas, some with fiberglass bodies, some with aluminum. He wanted some logos to put on the cars when he was at the car shows, since magnets were out of the question, I printed them on PhotoTex. Of course he wanted to know if he could drive around with them, and I actually had put one on my truck when I delivered them, and it did good at normal speeds. So he decides he wants to put them on this lingerfeller corvette, and we hit the hi-way, and I can say they withstood 150-170 mph run down the hiway, no problem.

Static cling is bad for anything except windows. The ink can bleed right through, like red and the ink will become stain on the vehicle. Been there done that. That was done with the Gerber Edge.

Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
    I got a guy who builds old Corvettes, and these high dollar Cobra replicas, some with fiberglass bodies, some with aluminum. He wanted some logos to put on the cars when he was at the car shows, since magnets were out of the question, I printed them on PhotoTex. Of course he wanted to know if he could drive around with them, and I actually had put one on my truck when I delivered them, and it did good at normal speeds. So he decides he wants to put them on this lingerfeller corvette, and we hit the hi-way, and I can say they withstood 150-170 mph run down the hiway, no problem.
    LOL... several years ago I had a guy come to me wanting some cutesy magnetics for his car for a parade... a one time use thing. It was for the convertable that the queen of the parade would be riding in. No problem I said. I made the magnets, he handed me $75.00 and out the door he went. The day of the parade he called me in a panic and you could see the veins in his forehead bulging through the phone lines. "THESE MAGNETS ARE DEFECTIVE... I'VE GOT A PARADE IN AN HOUR AND THEY WON'T STICK TO THE CAR!!!!!!" I told him to bring them in and I'd make them right. He came rolling up in a convertable Corvette with fiberglass doors. DUH! I tossed him a roll of clear packing tape and said "no charge", locked the door of the shop, and drove away with him standing there in my parking lot scratching his head. I never heard from the guy again. I sometimes wonder if he ever realised that magnets don't stick to fiberglass.
    Ron Brown
    GetNoticed Signs & Graphics

With the speed of technology today, anybody who says "it can't be done" is usually interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

If white will work,,, go with "Paint Mask" vinyl,,,
    I used paint mask once while waiting for the vinyl (silver)
    to come in,,, went 2 weeks on there (truck on the road)
    and came off easy when I had the silver ready to go !!!
    For that matter,,, rattle can the color you want on paint mask !!!