I recently purchased some ink from an aftermarket company over the internet, for my Roland VersaCamm VP-540.

I was printing four 4'x8' for a customer, when I ran out of ink. I decided to put my new cartridges in, only to see the horror it gave me. The colors were absolutely twisted, faded ( Dark blue = mid-purple, etc. ), and, for example, the "worker" printed on my first 4'x8', suddenly suffered from a very bad sunburn, with a dark, red skin...

Wondering what was wrong, I made several prints; here's how it came out:

1 - A graphic designer's file, came out with faded colors, same problem as listed above.
    2 - The Roland VersaCamm "Color Codes" (PR-01A to PR50-K and all sub-colors) came out perfectly
    3 - A random picture, taken from google pictures, came out with straight beautiful colors...

I am wondering what the problem could be. The 4'x8' I was printing came from a Illustrator file I created, and were perfect at first.

Anyhow, I ordered some new "factory" Roland cartridges, but they will only be arriving on Friday, and them 4' x 8' must be out by Friday!

Please, oh please, oh please!

Aftermarket inks at best will give different color results, and at worst can damage your printer components. Mixing inks is a definite no-no. You might be okay after all the old inks are flushed and new inks introduced, but the contamination of mixing the two is a sure recipie for disaster.

If you've already got the aftermarket inks flowing and your going back to OEM, get some cleaner cartridges and flush the aftermarket ink out of the system, otherwise you're just asking for continued problems. I've heard good stories about switching to aftermarket inks if the system is flushed properly first, and I've heard horror storries as well from just using aftermarket inks at all. The printer is manufactured to use inks that it was designed to use. You may get acceptable results using other inks, but not without a bunch of fiddling with your profiles, and you certainly can't expect any consistent results if you're blending OEM and aftermarket inks in the same lines.
    Ron Brown
    GetNoticed Signs & Graphics

With the speed of technology today, anybody who says "it can't be done" is usually interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bigwater @ Aug 26 2009, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Aftermarket inks at best will give different color results, and at worst can damage your printer components. Mixing inks is a definite no-no. You might be okay after all the old inks are flushed and new inks introduced, but the contamination of mixing the two is a sure recipie for disaster.

If you've already got the aftermarket inks flowing and your going back to OEM, get some cleaner cartridges and flush the aftermarket ink out of the system, otherwise you're just asking for continued problems. I've heard good stories about switching to aftermarket inks if the system is flushed properly first, and I've heard horror storries as well from just using aftermarket inks at all. The printer is manufactured to use inks that it was designed to use. You may get acceptable results using other inks, but not without a bunch of fiddling with your profiles, and you certainly can't expect any consistent results if you're blending OEM and aftermarket inks in the same lines.[/b]
    As always, you're of great help. I thank you so much for the constant support you provide to the online community of sign business - it's extremely helpful, and very constructive!

Thanks a bunch We will switch back to our OEM inks ... It's always good to try and cut costs of operation, but as you once said on one of my previous threads; sometimes trying to be penny wise, we're a dollar dumb

Have a great day Bigwater!