PhotoVCarve user Joe has engraved this project on his home made CNC machine.

The material is just a board from hobbylobby he had (which was not entirely flat),
    stained it light then used poly on top, let dry and then carve into it. once carved
    used dark stain on cut areas, and just wiped off excess from poly areas, cleaned
    off with one wipe.

The engraved region 5" x7 " and took 16 minutes to cut running at 40 IPM.

Joe commented "Not bad for 1st try, what I would do is make a plate and make a
    level pocket with end mill for boards to sit in and then make sure work piece /stock,
    is almost perfectly level across it, maybe mill top of stock also first."

Joe's machine is based on an MDF construction and full details are available from
    his project log on CNCZone.

1st picture is the Preview in PhotoCarve
    2nd Picture right After cut on the machine
    3rd picture shows how the design springs to life after staining the groves.

I hope you find this project interesting,

Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (164.8 KB, 22 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (50.2 KB, 30 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (65.2 KB, 51 views)
    Tony McKenzie
    www.vectric.com

Warning - Cutting these projects can be addictive and Joe has been busy during
    the night cutting his design into Corian (solid surface material from DuPont used for
    kitchens, bathrooms and shop fittings etc).

Comments from Joe,

Below is the Photo cut into Corian (8.5"x11" White) using the PhotoVCarve, I could
    not believe how it came alive, and the cuts were great in Corian.

I cut the file, then blow out the Corian dust from groves using compressor, then
    just use plain old fast drying Flat Black paint i had sitting around. Then used sand
    paper sponge to sand the surface back down to the white Corian, took over to the
    sink rinsed off, and wiped dry. And you see the results, when you start looking you
    can see details in the picture, Even lettering on the Boy's shirt. The preview in the
    software looks good, but the finished product is even better.

The whole proccess works best when having a nice material to start with.

60deg. V-bit, 20ipm, took 56 mins

1st picture is after cut and corian dust blown off.
    2nd picture is finished product.

Tony
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (52.0 KB, 30 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (72.1 KB, 46 views)
    Tony McKenzie
    www.vectric.com

Speaking of corian, heres something else thats really cool you can do- Lithophanes! These are reversed pictures carved with a .046 or .062 ball end mill in corian almost all the way through so when you hold up to light or put in a lightbox the picture shows through. I've posted a couple of pictures, to see more go over to the vectric forums, theres some really AWESOME examples there. The first picture is the one I used to make it. The second picture is the Lithophane without any light behind it. The third picture is me just holding it up to the sun. These pictures do not do the finished project justice! When I put one in front of a light I have never had anyone not gasp in amazement (including myself) everytime. Warning! These will become VERY addictive, so do one at your own risk!!

Jason

[attachment=97849:attachment][attachment=97850:attachment][attachment=97851:atta
    chment]
    Every time you think you made something idiot-proof, they keep making new and improved idiots.

Your not kidding about gasping, when I did my first lithopane it was a picture of my mother's high school yearbook. WOW it jumps out at you not like a photo but almost as a holigram. Backlit they have a warm glow about them that you just cant see on the internet.
    Friends Don't Let Friends use Comic Sans! (or brush script for that matter)

13 Minimancha Goats ,3 Guinea Hens, 26 Assorted Chickens, 3 Turkeys, 3 Beagles, 2 Anatolian Shepards, 2 Dexter cows, 1 Cat and about a dozen vinyl cutters.

Barb, Jo, and Joe - Be Strong, live strong, love strong

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kimon @ Jan 20 2007, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Your not kidding about gasping, when I did my first lithopane it was a picture of my mother's high school yearbook. WOW it jumps out at you not like a photo but almost as a holigram. Backlit they have a warm glow about them that you just cant see on the internet.[/b]

I wish I knew about photography so I could really capture what these look like. Out of all of the cool things I make with my router, Liths are by far the coolest.

Jason
    Every time you think you made something idiot-proof, they keep making new and improved idiots.

Hi Tony!
    How you doing? Fancy seeing you here, I just registered. I guess good minds think alike. Still saving my pennies to become a new customer of yours. Anyway, good to see a familiar username. L8rs.
    Diarmaid.

Quick and accurate Workshop Job Pricing:
    http://www.dsm-systems.com

Hi Thkoutsidthebox,

Great to see you've joined the Forum.

Just womdering if you have cut any of the Trial version Evaluation Files
    on your New Router?

Tony
    Tony McKenzie
    www.vectric.com

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tony Mac @ Jan 28 2007, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Hi Thkoutsidthebox,
    Great to see you've joined the Forum.
    Just womdering if you have cut any of the Trial version Evaluation Files
    on your New Router?
    Tony[/b]
    Sorry, lost track of this thread. Cutting some projects now since I bought the software. Pics to show soon!
    Diarmaid.

Quick and accurate Workshop Job Pricing:
    http://www.dsm-systems.com