I have a customer that would like me to apply vinyl on some existing awnings and to be honest I'm not sure what to do. I am pretty confident that the typical vinyl won't stick to it but because I see awenings with vinyl on them I'm thinking there is a way to do this.

Does anyone know a type of vinyl that this can be done with? Also, are there any tricks to cleaning and applying?

Any help is desperately needed and appreciated.

I attached a photo of one of the awnings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Best Regards;
    Robert Pruitt
    www.pruittsigns.com

Vinyl Express Q75 30" - HP Officejet 6110, HP Deskjet 6122- Adobe Photoshop CS - Adobe Illustrator CS - Macromedia Freehand - VELxi Master Plus - Estimate - Corel Draw 12

Proud member of the Whit Fanclub[/b][/i]

of what fabric are the awnings constructed? if they're canvas.....you're better off with paint. if they're vinyl - premium adhesive vinyl works just dandy! clean them well and thoroughly - i use mild soap & water followed with alcohol to remove any residue before applying the vinyl
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it"
    ~ Albert Einstein

Jan Berte
    Legacy Graphics & Design
    Carroll, Iowa - back in cold country again

Plan your tripLocal RadarDetailed Forecast

Unfortunately they are canvas and worse I have no skill with the brush. I am kind of hoping there is some way to apply vinyl to canvas although it may be a pipe dream.
    Best Regards;
    Robert Pruitt
    www.pruittsigns.com

Vinyl Express Q75 30" - HP Officejet 6110, HP Deskjet 6122- Adobe Photoshop CS - Adobe Illustrator CS - Macromedia Freehand - VELxi Master Plus - Estimate - Corel Draw 12

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob Pruitt @ Jun 26 2006, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Unfortunately they are canvas and worse I have no skill with the brush. I am kind of hoping there is some way to apply vinyl to canvas although it may be a pipe dream.[/b]
    There's no way to get vinyl lettering to stick to a canvas awning, in my experience. Those that you see with lettering normally have been screenprinted, and before they were up, when the fabric would lay flat. The best you can do now is to clean well with alcohol, then apply a reverse-weeded viny stencil using regular intermediate vinyl. Heat with a hair dryer, while the transfer tape is still on it. Then do your best to remove the transfer tape without the vinyl coming off. Roll paint with a good foam roller, several light coats so you don't drip, then remove the vinyl stencil. First advise the customer that when they move out they could be made to pay for the awning since the paint is not going to come off. Also I'd make sure you have a copy of a signed statement of approval from the landlord if the customer isn't the owner, or they could make you pay for the new awning.

The other thing that works on some awnings is a vinyl banner (thin, maybe 8 oz) hand sew on with large stitches (clear fishing line for thread) to minimize the needle holes, but that really only works if you have a flat area.
    Joe Pelonio - Bellevue Instant Sign Co. Since 1987 Now in Sammamish, WA www.bellevuesign.com www.laserartists.com www.sammamishsign.com

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Joe @ Jun 26 2006, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob Pruitt @ Jun 26 2006, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Unfortunately they are canvas and worse I have no skill with the brush. I am kind of hoping there is some way to apply vinyl to canvas although it may be a pipe dream.[/b]
    There's no way to get vinyl lettering to stick to a canvas awning, in my experience. Those that you see with lettering normally have been screenprinted, and before they were up, when the fabric would lay flat. The best you can do now is to clean well with alcohol, then apply a reverse-weeded viny stencil using regular intermediate vinyl. Heat with a hair dryer, while the transfer tape is still on it. Then do your best to remove the transfer tape without the vinyl coming off. Roll paint with a good foam roller, several light coats so you don't drip, then remove the vinyl stencil. First advise the customer that when they move out they could be made to pay for the awning since the paint is not going to come off. Also I'd make sure you have a copy of a signed statement of approval from the landlord if the customer isn't the owner, or they could make you pay for the new awning.

The other thing that works on some awnings is a vinyl banner (thin, maybe 8 oz) hand sew on with large stitches (clear fishing line for thread) to minimize the needle holes, but that really only works if you have a flat area.
    [/b][/quote]

Thank you so much for that information; you have no idea how much that helps. Your the best.
    Best Regards;
    Robert Pruitt
    www.pruittsigns.com

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Joe @ Jun 26 2006, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob Pruitt @ Jun 26 2006, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

I have done this many times with great success!!! The main thing I do different is that my first coat of paint I use is a color as close to the fabric color as I can get to act as a "primer" per say... What it doeas is plug up any "holes" that the paint might seep through with a color that matches the fabric color.
    Greg Gulliford
    Metro Signs and Banners
    Spokane Washington

<a href="http://www.wunderground.com/US/WA/Spokane.html?bannertypeclick=miniWeather2" target="_blank">
    </a>

Rum might not make your job better, but with enough you can forget why you wanted to quit long enough to go back in for another day.