Before i screw up the entire roll of this pricey vinyl trying to print one 18" x 24" I thought I'd ask the experts for any and all advice they might have.

I have the profile from Roland for this vinyl. Will be using Colorip 2.2x.

It's a simple sign, more white than anything else. Graphics are heavy on green and red as its a Christmas Radio station sign.

Anything to watch out for?

Should I "overprint" this since its translucent?

This is my FIRST translucent sign on the Versacamm so assume I know nothing about it (because i don't!)

Thank you!
    Greg

rangergcj AT live.com
    603-765-9745 (cell)

Originally posted by greg@Apr 17 2005, 09:16 PM
    Before i screw up the entire roll of this pricey vinyl trying to print one 18" x 24" I thought I'd ask the experts for any and all advice they might have.

I have the profile from Roland for this vinyl. Will be using Colorip 2.2x.

It's a simple sign, more white than anything else. Graphics are heavy on green and red as its a Christmas Radio station sign.

Anything to watch out for?

Should I "overprint" this since its translucent?

This is my FIRST translucent sign on the Versacamm so assume I know nothing about it (because i don't!)#

Thank you!
    <div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    [/quote]

I would scale the graphic down really small and do a few test prints and see what happens.... This is what I generally do.

The "big" sign shop in town has an SP300. I was talking to them about it and asked about coverage. He mentioned on translucent signs he does double coverage to get enough density. I asked "You can run it through twice?". He said no, he prints the second coat onto clear & layers them. Might be something to try on a small test.

Let us know how it goes?

Fred

Thanks for the info.

I certainly HOPE I can get a good print just using the translucent vinyl. Roland sells it as Versacamm material and provides a profile for it. That would lead me to believe printing a sign using it wouldn't be terribly complicated.

Naive ain't I?
    Greg

rangergcj AT live.com
    603-765-9745 (cell)

Set Your overprint to 2.

TWF holds ink very well.

When the overprint is set the printer makes each pass twice rather than
    printing the whole image once the going back and printing a second time over it.

The method Fred mentioned is also used for a vibrant print but I think you will
    find that the TWF with a overprint of 2 will give you nice results for slide in display prints.

sTu
    American Grafix - Michigan</span>

Equipment:
    SolJet SC-500, 60" Laminator, 2-30" Laminators, Roland 30" Camm-1 Pro, 15" Heat Press

<span style="color:blue">Software:
    XP-Pro, XP-Home, Flexi Pro 7.6, PhotoShop 7, S-Spline Pro, Illustrator 10,
    Corel 11, Photo Paint 11, Corel KnockOut, Eye Candy 4000, Auto FX DreamSuite,
    Estimate, Office 2003 Premium, Project Professional 2003

Thanks for the tip! I was wondering about overprinting.

I'll try it later this evening.

Thanks again to all!
    Greg

rangergcj AT live.com
    603-765-9745 (cell)

OK, now I have the stupidest question of all.

This Roland PGM-TWF vinyl is on the roll with the shiny side down. In other words, there's a dull side and a shiny/glossy side.

If I use it as its rolled I'll be printing on the dull side. From Roland's description:

"It is a heavyweight 9 mil film designed to be front print and displayed either frontlit or backlit for a variety of display and trade show graphic applications.".........

I assume I print normally and not mirrored. The glossy side just threw me off.

So, do I just print on the dull "Matte" side?

Like I said, stupid question but I only bought 10 feet of this stuff and really don't need to use the roll up experimenting.

Thanks!
    Greg

rangergcj AT live.com
    603-765-9745 (cell)

NOT mirrored - unless you're using clear and gonna put on the inside of the face
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don&#39;t do anything about it"
    ~ Albert Einstein

Jan Berte
    Legacy Graphics & Design
    Carroll, Iowa - back in cold country again

Plan your tripLocal RadarDetailed Forecast

Thanks for the info!!

I printed it on the "dull" side as I assumed it needed to be. The sign looked great!

I set overprint to 2 and although slow as hell it turned out to be one of the nicest looking signs this Versacamm has printed yet.

Thanks again all!
    Greg

rangergcj AT live.com
    603-765-9745 (cell)

Sorry I missed your question about what side to print!

Glad it worked out well for you - I print allot of the TWF for one of my customers
    and although a little pricey for the media the end result is, as you see, well worth it.

sTu
    American Grafix - Michigan</span>

Equipment:
    SolJet SC-500, 60" Laminator, 2-30" Laminators, Roland 30" Camm-1 Pro, 15" Heat Press

<span style="color:blue">Software:
    XP-Pro, XP-Home, Flexi Pro 7.6, PhotoShop 7, S-Spline Pro, Illustrator 10,
    Corel 11, Photo Paint 11, Corel KnockOut, Eye Candy 4000, Auto FX DreamSuite,
    Estimate, Office 2003 Premium, Project Professional 2003