PDA

View Full Version : Board For Signs From Lowes Or Home Depot

oaktree
12-11-2005, 02:05 PM
I need to make a 4' x 8' sign. What kind of board can I get from Lowes or Home Depot?
I used plywood one time, I painted it before I applied vinyl but the vinyl didn't stick very well.
Does anyone know a different kind of board that these two stores sell that would work better?
Or any suggestions on what I did wrong with the plywood?

Thanks

signguy98
12-11-2005, 02:31 PM
From my experience, you need to use MDO plywood. The stuff looks like plywood with a layer of kraft paper on each side of it.
I primer the stuff, 2 or 3 layers, sanding between layers (lightly)
then I paint with 2 coats of a good oil base paint.

make sure to get a lot of primer and paint "worked" into the edges.

Menards carries some stuff (not sure about Home Depot or Lowes) called duraTherm. this stuff is like a 3/16 inch thick layer if pvc on the outside of a sheet of 1/4 inch cororplast. easy stuff to work with, but about $38 sheet, last I bought. only downfall is it only comes in white.

hope this helps

Freddy
12-11-2005, 03:14 PM
Tips using MDO......Round the edges with a router or by sanding. The first place paint fails is on sharp corners. Before priming go over the edges with wood putty to fill any voids, then sand smooth.

txsignshop
12-11-2005, 03:32 PM
I don't think Lowes carries MDO, only MDF. Whatever you get, defintely make sure you prime it and use OIL BASE paint.

Whit
12-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Oil base paint shrinks as it cures,,, hence paint
failing on the edges,,, it literally cuts the paint !!!
Always use oilbase,, always sand your edges !!!

kevin9574
12-11-2005, 04:49 PM
The last couple of panels I've painted I've used the OIL BASEDKiltz. It's iol based so vinyl sticks to it very well, but it has very heavy pigments like a latex so it rolls on good and lays down flat.

pwcgraphics
12-11-2005, 08:07 PM
I have not painted MDO for at least 7-8 years.

Save yourself time & money & either try Alumalite or Lusterboard.
They cost more, but you actually save in paint/primer cost & time.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Mike

JimmyG
12-12-2005, 01:27 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kevin9574 @ Dec 11 2005, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=419523)</div>
The last couple of panels I've painted I've used the OIL BASEDKiltz. It's iol based so vinyl sticks to it very well, but it has very heavy pigments like a latex so it rolls on good and lays down flat.[/b]
Actually Kilz oil base is fast drying for the cheaper jobs but will fail prematurely and separate the paint film from the mdo resin paper because it doesn't saturate bond before drying, especially in cold temps...I've seen it happen within 1 1/2 years and the paint begins flaking in the center of the panel and the edges...
Right on Whit on paint shrink...!!!

For longevity, I use a slow dry exterior oil base wood primer thinned out a bit for saturation, and sometimes with another thin coat that will sand out well...after that 2-3 coats oil base enamels...
I've seen panel paint hold quite well for a number of years this way.... http://www.signforums.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif